Please follow me and join my other AMAZING followers!!!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pears, pears and more pears

>
Hugh!! We just got finished canning 10 lbs. of pears. Was it HOT!! My Grandpa has 2 pear trees and so combine those with some store bought ones, it equals a lot!! But it is nice to think we have pears to last us for awhile.

Canning has become such a lost art.........now it's just "Oh, you want canned fruit, Walmart has them on sale." It's too bad that people have gone down the convenience road. For one thing, it is a lot cheaper to can your own and second, you don't get all the chemicals that they put in store bought canned fruit. And in my opinion, homemade tastes a whole lot better!! Sure you have convenience, but people wouldn't need convenience if there was a mother who stayed home a prepared stuff like this for her family. Today, we took a day off of school to can, because my Dad wanted canned pears. And it was fun working with my Mom and sisters. But moms who work outside of the house wouldn't of been able to do that........

The ordinary arts we practice every day
at home are of more importance to the
soul than their simplicity might suggest.
~Thomas More

Which looks better??

This

or THIS??
Yummy!!

I think we canned about 20 quarts today!! But with a family of ten, it is not nearly enough!!



1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking some time to comment!! I LOVE hearing what my readers have to say. Although, I hope that you will have only good things to say..........and please follow my blog if you haven't already.

God Bless,
Abbie